solved the regulator problem

To: "mg-t@autox.team.net" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: solved the regulator problem
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:12:19 -0500
A lot of interesting ideas on the regulator problem. I finally figured it
out with the help of some literature sent by Ian F.  Cheers to Ian!
The unit voltage levels kept testing ok but not consistently.  I didn't seem
to have enough current because whenever I flipped the headlamps on, my
ampmeter said I had -10 amps regardless of rpm. I could pull the battery at
3000 rpm and the engine would die indicating it had been running off the
battery. The meter and physical observation showed the cut out kicking in.
Some Cramolin cleaned the relays and the the voltage levels became
consistent and everything seemed to be working but I still didn't seem to
have enough current. The only possible thing short of a wiring problem had
to be the contact. I carefully bent the thin copper contact up on the
battery cutout contact and solved the problem. I was getting enough contact
for voltage to flow but not enough for a significant load. Simple enough!

Mike