Re: Thermostat Question

To: bobmgtd@insightbb.com, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thermostat Question
From: "Mike Eldred" <redscirocco@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:15:48 -0400
(oops, sorry about the last post)

Bob,
I don't know if this will give you any useful information or not.  Just last
week my TF (1954, 1250) started having what I thought was a thermostat
problem.  On a longshot, I stopped at the local NAPA.  No way they'd have
anything for a 50 year-old Brit car, I thought.  I was wrong, they handed me
a perfect replacement.  No gasket, though.  I had to make one - no problem.
I took my NAPA thermostat home and replaced it, and headed out for a drive -
and experienced the same problem.  According to the temp. gage, the car was
heating up rapidly, nearly to 110 c. before the thermostat would open up and
cool the car down to the usual 85-ish (centigrade) it usually runs at.  To
make a long story short, it turned out to be an air pocket in the engine.
As a VW afficianado, I have heard of similar problems with water-cooled VWs.
  Why the air pocket won't "burp" itself out, I don't know.
The solution (thanks to the VW Scirocco list) is to drill two small (1/16"
or so) holes in the flat part of the thermostat body.  The holes allow a
small amount of coolant to pass during warm-up, but more importantly, it
seems to allow the air to work its way out.
Now, with the same thermostat, the car warms up to 85 C., and stays there.
Anyone else have similar thermostat experiences?
Oh, and to get back to your question, I don't know what the temp rating of
the Moss thermo is, but the one I bought was rated at 180 f., as was the one
I replaced - it was stamped on the bottom of both.  For the most part, my TF
seems to run around 85 C. - if it's hotter out, it may run a LITTLE bit
hotter (of course, in Vermont we think hot is 87 farenheit)  If it's cool,
it does run a little cooler than 85 C.  You'll have to do the celsius to
farenheit conversion yourself, I'm mathematically challenged without a
calculator in my hand.
-Mike Eldred