oil leak

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: oil leak
From: Walton Smith <waltonps@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:39:50 -0800 (PST)
Recently in my quest for the Holy Grail of MG ownership, I as so many
others before me was foolish attempting to achieve a non oil leaking
TD. I purchased a spin-on oil filter adapter which replicated the
remote mount canister type on early models.  The adapter is sold by Bob
G. and it is a beautiful display of quality workmanship, and I feel it
aesthetically enhances the appearance of the engine bay.  The problem
which has now manifested after the alteration was complete is where I
need assistance. The gasket interface between the spin-on filter and
the adapter blows out from the side, and consequently results in a
major amount of oil being pumped right to the ground. Twice this has
occurred on cold start-up when the engine is brought up from cold idle
to about 2400 RPMs. The oil pressure under the conditions of failure is
about 115 psi. I have not checked the by-pass or relief valve, because
Im not sure I would be able to ascertain a problem even upon
examination.
Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated;
Walt