Re: HEATING PROBLEM x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: streepey@sunset.net
Subject: Re: HEATING PROBLEM x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:58:20 -0400
Lee,
  All the things he did are good.
  Check timing again. If it's late, engine runs hot.  Timing is set at
rest (not with flashing timing light). If a strobe is used, timing is
usually 4-5 degrees later than it appears to be, since the advance of the
distributor begins at RPM less than most idle speeds.
  Radiator cleaner won't do much if there is solidified sediment in the
block's water passages. It will slosh around in there, then drain out
clean looking, without softening the real sludge that accumulates back at
#4 cylinder.  It works fine in the radiator.
  He could get an idea of the sludge in the block by popping out the
"freeze" (casting) plugs on the right side of the engine and taking a
look. He should also look for the 3/16 drilled hole that should be
visible at the plugs.  But, in the TF, this isn't at all easy or fun to
do.
  He could remove the thermostat again, then use a garden hose to
back-flush the system.  Again, it's not an answer, though the pressure
might loosen some sediment.
  How much is he overheating?  Gauge reads what?  Has he stuck a
thermometer into the radiator top tank to check gauge accuracy?
Bob