steering rack nipple

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: steering rack nipple
From: Frogeye9@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 04:25:38 EDT
I think the reason there are so many missing balls and springs is that ,in
the past, the privious owners have drilled out the hole and blew/pushed them
out. That is what I did to my Bugeye years ago. By drilling into the hole,
the ball&spring are allowed to fall out.(Remove the nipple from the rack
first,of course). This leaves a clear hole to pump oil into.  I filled up a
pump style oil can, pushed on a length of tubing,and had myself a new
tool.Usually ,some method is needed to secure the hose to the end of the oil
can. I just used a tie rap. The other end of the hose is pushed onto the
nipple.  Pump away.A means of covering over the modified zerk fitting is
needed now.At the hardware store they sell little caps of various sizes. When
you build a work bench out of angle iron you use bolts and nuts. The ends of
the bolts can be a hazard so they sell these caps to push over 'em.Heck, I
even use these on all the other zerks on the car. Different sizes,different
colors. Hope this helps,--Bob C in Kansas