Re: Points/electronic ign.

To: Peter Thiel <pthiel@QuixNet.net>, "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>,
Subject: Re: Points/electronic ign.
From: Walt Smith <waltonps@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 15:37:30 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Peter,
"Variety is the spice of life". It is refreshing to know
there is a purist amongst the masses.
I too like you, am from the old school, but I am definitely
in the electronic ignition camp. When both systems are
optimized, I can not see any advantage to a contact set,
with the exception of initial cost and originality.
Electronic ignition, while it requires a minimum voltage to
operate, use less power. I wouldn't want to wager on it,
but I would think in a fully charged battery; the edge
would go to the electronic ignition getting you home!
Electronic allows for full coil saturation with almost 100%
dwell. There is no point arcing, or capacitor for excess
storage!
Electronic ignition will also forgive some of the many
ailments experienced by a worn distributor cam. This is
quite evident on a scope raster setting.
I think my number one reason for preferring electronic over
mechanical is; reliability. You laugh; but just name one
professional race team in the world using points!
While I may not concur with your choice to use points, I
sure agree with what you said.  > > Fix the mechanical
stuff no matter what kind of ignition you are using. <<

While on the subject of timing and I know Pete and most of
you know it. I'm sure a few of the old timers remember when
we use to set-up advance curves using distributor machines.
(Boy the time we use to spend for one extra pony!) While
very few of us have access to a distributor machine, most
of us have adjustable advancing timing lights and can just
as easily set up the distributor with just a light and tach
(a distributor spec sheet would be nice). Bob Howard was
kind enough to provide total advance curve settings by
distributor number. While these numbers are a good starting
point, remember they were specific to a particular
compression factor and fuel octane rating. Ideally what we
would like to achieve is explosion at TDC, or at the
beginning of the power stroke. (There is many variables and
variations, but I will avoid going into too much theory.)
The thing to keep in mind is too much advance, results in
detonation. (explosion before TDC). Too little results in a
loss of power.
That's my three cents worth.
Best regards;
Walt