Lucas striker!

To: MG Net <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lucas striker!
From: Gene Fodor <crownwhl@sover.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:16:01 -0500
Dear Listers: Lucas struck today with all it's fury. Deciding to get
an early start on the season, I took 'Eliot', my '53 TD out of
storage. The pre-start/drive inspection with a full tank of petrol was
OK.
After two cranks the engine started and all cylinders reported in.
Visibly, exhaust volume and consistency appeared OK. It ran for about
30 minutes and was turned off. A check revealed no unexpected leaks
and started up again.
No unusual sounds, rattles, etc. Oil at 45-50 psi/vs speed, amps about
+4 at speed and the lamp off and about -3 at idle/low charge lamp on..

After an uneventful 20 minute drive, I came to a traffic light that
just turned green and preceded. At that point, the engine sputtered
and died!
With the ignition on, the fuel pump didn't play it's tapping symphony.
That's the problem.
Inspection at home showed the following: Battery with no drain 13V;
ignition on, shows 3V; no horn sounding, but a drop of 8V seen;
head/parking lights started on very dim and then came bright show 6V;
lights still on and now the ignition showing 2V.  With the
ignition/lights off, battery went back 13V. Signal lights didn't work
at all. With lights on and signal switch on all went dim and showed
3V. Starter does not turn. No movement on the ammeter during this
troubleshooting.
This is a later model TD number 26944 It has the separate control and
fuse box. The control box is attached to the inside of the firewall,
there is a voltage regulator and the two fuses on the left side of the
engine compartment. Fuses test good, Battery is attached correctly.
The voltage is read from a voltmeter attached to the battery
terminals.
Your help would be appreciated.
Gene Fodor
53 MGTD