Re: TD Carb Question

To: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TD Carb Question
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 20:14:35 -0800
Scott,

As I re-read your original post and the various replies and suggestions, I
believe most everyone mis-read what you actually wrote. You described a
piston with a spring loaded pin in it, not a carb body with a spring loaded
pin. As such, this pin is not there to raise the piston for mixture checking
purposes. It is, in fact, as you surmised, a sort of shock absorber to stop
the piston coming down with a resounding thunk.

It is true that you have mis-matched pistons, as only one piston has this
pin, but that fact presents a problem only if the weights of the two pistons
are different. By itself, the difference in design should not affect
anything as far as your being able to synchronize the idle speed or mixture.
When the engine is running, the piston will be lifted by the incoming air
flow at least as far (and probably a little further) than that pin will
raise the piston.

I'd suggest that you determine whether your two pistons weigh the same. If
they don't, check with someone who has a stock of H2 pistons and try to
match one or the other of the two that you have, to get a pair. Then, with
matching needles correctly installed, unworn jets, correctly-set float
heights and properly synched airflow and mixture, you should have no further
carb problems.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center