MGB alternator (Sorry!)

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB alternator (Sorry!)
From: MGTD2@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:16:27 EDT
I know someone out there can explain this in no time, so let me ask this
question to you, my square-rigged comrades:

My '69 B-GT has a Lucas alternator with three wire attachment via modular plug.

1. Heavy brown (to the battery via starter solenoid)
2. Not so heavy brown  (diagram shows it also runs to the solenoid)
3. Brown w/ yellow to the alternator light.

Question:  I bought a rebuilt alternator (came from AutoZone but seems to have
been re-manufactured in the UK) and it only has a 2-wire modular plug.  The
size of the terminals makes it appear to be for the two brown leads. What did I
get?  What from England uses a 2-wire alternator?

Question two:  A little education please-- smaller brown wire performs what
function?  Could the 2-wire alternator need only the heavy brown lead and the
brown/yellow lead?  Is the smaller gauge brown lead an "exciter" that
stimulates the alternator?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Thanks in advance.

--John Deikis