Re: Brakes: was: List is silent again?

To: "SPAHR,LANI (A-hsgAndover,ex1)" <lani_spahr@hsgmed.com>
Subject: Re: Brakes: was: List is silent again?
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:44:36 -0600
Lani:

<<<snip>>>1. Moss and Abingdon Spares both carry a "Repair Kit,
Front Cylinder". I'm
assuming this is for something else and not for leaking
cylinders. Am I
right? (Update: In talking to someone else it seems that this is
exactly
what I want- yes?)
<<<snip>>>
This consists of the wheel cylinder cup, the spring, and
sometimes the cup filler.  Se parts 41, 42 on page M.3 of the
shop manual.

IF the cylinders are scored little you may be able to hone them
out and use the new seals.  However, if this has been done, the
honing, once before, the bore is most likely too big and you will
need to either replace them, or sleeve them.  ANY major pitting
will require sleeving or replacement.  BTDT

<<<snip>>>
 The brake pads look to have sufficient pad left. What amount
(measured
thickness of pad) is minimal?
<<<snip>>>
If the shoes are contaminated with brake fluid, you need new
ones.  AS to wear it depends on the mileage you put on, and how
soon you want to pull the drum again.  If you don't put on alot
of mileage, you can probably re-use the shoes.  The end of the
shoe that is NOT gainst the piston recieves little wear.  The
piston end wears the most.  If the worn end is down more that 25%
when compared to the other end, I'd replace the shoes.

<<<snip>>>
3. Are there any other suppliers of cylinders that I should check
(other
than Moss and Abingdon Spares?) Abingdon wants $67 per cylinder,
Moss is
closer to $90.
<<<snip>>>
There was a time when you could get shoes from J. C. Whitney, or
a local parts house.  I don't think you can anymore.  Depending
on your location, there are places that will reline YOUR shoes.
When linings were rivited on that was quite common.  Otherwise
you have to use a T parts supplier or one of their distributors
such as Dave ZYP, Jeff Zorn, etc.

<<<snip>>>4. Anything else I should know?
<<<snip>>>
If cylinders in both hubs leak, you should probably check out the
whole system and replace all wheel seals and hoses.  Don't forget
the master cylinder.

Blake