Re: Shut-off

To: Bill Loubiere <loubiere@earthlink.net>, Ben@smtp.tscnet.net,
Subject: Re: Shut-off
From: Dave and Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:41:43 -0700
Ben and Bill,

    As I stated before, I got a neat 1/4' ball valve at Eagle, but they
are no longer in existence, so I would suggest the following source:
MSC Industrial Supply Co. web site <http://www.mscdirect.com>, phone
800-645-7270.  You could contact them and see if they have a similar
"miniature" 1/4" ball valve.  I say "miniature", because what I got
measures 3/4" dia. by 1 5/8" long and the handle length is 1 11/16".
The standard 1/4" ball valves that I have measure 1 1/4" dia. by 1 3/4"
long and have a handle length of almost 3".  Perhaps the size is
immaterial as either would work.  I mounted the valve in the line from
the fuel tank to the pump by getting 2 1/4" unions (Moss P/N 376-300
from the MGA catalog) and drilling one end out to fit the fuel line,
cutting a section of the line out to accommodate the valve and then
soldering each cut end of the  line into the unions.  This method
requires removing the fuel line from the gas tank and the pump so they
can be screwed into the valve (this would be necessary anyway to solder
the lines into the unions).  Perhaps an easier method would have been to
solder a female 1/4" nut and nipple (Moss P/N 376-415 and 376-405) to
each end of the cut fuel line, screwing the unions to either end of the
valve and then attaching the female end of each section of line to the
union.

Hope this all makes sense,
Dave

PS.  I am sure that other industrial supply companies, such as Grainger
or McMaster/Carr would also carry these valves.