Tappet adjustment

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Tappet adjustment
From: streepey <streepey@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:12:00 -0700
I acquired "Thw Pumpkin" (1953 MGTD engine # XPAG/TD2/25761) in 1972.  I have
no information on the car prior to my purchase.  In 1975 I rebuilt the engine
completely - resleeved to standard - it had oversize pistons so the engine had
been rebuilt previously.  I did everything correctly, everything balanced, new
pushrods, both engine and head rebuilt.  I do not recall if the camshaft was
replaced/polished/reground and unfortunately my diary and receipts were lost
when we moved 10 years ago.

Now my quandry???  I have been setting the tappets .019 for all these years,
but I just discovered that at engine XPAG/TD2/24116 a different camshaft was
fitted and the tappet adjustment changed to .012.

The car has run perfectly for all these years, many, many miles (probably about
30,000).  There is no excessive valve clatter, power is satisfactory, road
speed at given RPM's exactly correct given my 4.875 rear end.

Many of you on this list are better mechanics than I.  Should I stay with the
.019 setting or set to .012 and see what happens?

Thanks

Lee