Re: Engine Block Needed

To: loubiere@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Engine Block Needed
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:32:58 -0400
Bill,
  I believe that you can use TD blocks, or any XPAG blocks,
interchangably.  The oil pump change was said to have been done because
of fractures that took place in the copper oil lines to the filter. Those
lines had to be disconnected each time the filter was cleaned (yes-they
advocated that at one time) or changed, and copper lines get brittle
unless annealed occasionally.
  Chip Old wrote up some info on this in TSO, if memory serves me.
SHould you not get satisfactory replies to this question, let me know and
I can do some digging in my archives.
  As to the block you have located that has a crack into a water
jacket--howabout pressing sleeves into the block? Sleeves are said to be
made of better metal for cylinders than the compromise metal used for
blocks. All big diesels are built with sleeves, many aircraft engines are
sleeved inside the aluminum casting with the fins, and Triumph engines
were "wet" sleeved.
  That line of thought continues....how badly was your original block
destroyed? Would sleeving it bring it back to usable condition?  I have
seen Bugattis with nice weld patches on the side of the engine, evidence
of flailing connecting rods.
Bob