Re: Seat Belts

To: "johncw" <johncw@narrows.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seat Belts
From: "Laura & Ben Prince" <blprince2@home.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 07:26:23 -0700
John,

I would urge you to install lap belts.  Back in the fifties, there was
significant debate in the race car community regarding the effectiveness of
belts.  As I recall, after the lap belts were mandated, the severity of
injuries decreased.  It is often particularly ugly if you are thrown out of
the car.

Do not attach to the wood floor boards.  The best place is near the bottom
of the "shelf" behind the seats.  The attach brackets should be low and in
the corners to not interfere with seat travel.  On the back side of the
shelf, a thick "doubler" should be installed at each attach point.  When
possible, bend the doubler to follow the contour of the bend at the bottom
of the shelf.

I have read of another approach that sounds pretty good.  A few inches of
chain are used at each of the four attach points.  One end of the chain is
bolted to the frame or some substantial spot.  The other end goes to the
back side of the shelf and bolts to the seat belt bracket.

Ben

> Now is the time for me to put in seat belts if I am going to do it at all.
My