RE: Oil filter caution

To: "Bud Krueger" <bkrueger@ici.net>, "mg-t" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil filter caution
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 09:27:35 -0300
Hi Bill et All,

Good point, I have have found no spring at all in a filter can serviced by a
DPO. He ruined a new engine rebuild because of unfiltered oil getting to the
bearings.

I can supply a modern spin-on filter adapters for the late TD/TF, simply
replaces the original filter can with a modern spin-on oiul filter readily
available at all auto parts stores.
I also have a spin-on adapter for the TC/Early TD, simply bolts into place
using original cannister mounting, oil lines and banjo bolts and accepts a
modern spin-on filter.

If interested and for more information, email me directly.
Bob Grunau

Hi folks,

       Just thought I'd pass on an observation that I made today while
getting
Lazarus (52TD) out of his winter slumber and ready to start some serious
motoring.  One of the items on the list was a change of oil and filter.  The
engine is a later version than the car (Engine # 29939) and has the
Tecalamit
Oil Filter.  I've changed the filter cartridge (NAPA #1300) quite a few
times,
so I'm quite familiar with the 'look and feel' of the operation.  When I
went to
reinstall the filter, something didn't feel right.  The bolt was tightening
up
too soon and I knew that I had removed the old gasket, so that couldn't be
it.
Just to be safe, I took the filter back off and had a look.

     Down inside the filter can there is a spring-loaded 'platform' that
presses
against the end of the filter cartridge.  The spring action wasn't there!
It
took a bit of effort to release the circlip that held the mechanism
together,
but eventually I got it apart.  There is the large circular disk that
presses
against the filter, a soft washer, a flat washer and a coil spring.  These
fit
around a central tube through which the mounting bolt passes.  A burr had
developed on the inside edge of the large disk so that it was binding on the
central tube and preventing the spring action that would normally allow the
disk
to move.  The effect was to give a false sense of having the filter bolted
into
place when it was still away from the sealing gasket.