Oil in the distributor

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil in the distributor
From: GRaw505@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 05:49:58 EDT
I've had problems with this on my Wife's 47 TC.  Some years ago we re-built
the whole car and the distributor was given a good 'going over'.  This
included new bushes, oil thrower etc.  There was very little play in the
shaft and we thought Fine!.  After about 10-15 miles there was engine oil in
the bottom of the bowl.  We checked that the crank case wasn't pressurising,
that the oil thrower was in the right way round and in desperation 'eased'
the bush in case we had closed up the tolerance to such a degree that it was
now 'wicking' up oil in a capilliary fashion.  Nothing helped.  I 'phoned a
few chums who couldn't throw any light on the problem so tried Ron Gammons.
He had heard of the problem on a few cars but had no idea what caused it or
what might cure it.  In desperation we bought a new distributor (on sale or
return), tried it and 'hey-presto' - no oil.
Not much help I know but good luck
Geoff Rawlings