Re-Chrome or Buy New Bumpers

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re-Chrome or Buy New Bumpers
From: "johncw" <johncw@narrows.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 14:59:13 -0700
I have a bit of a dillema.  I am restoring my 54 TF and am being forced to
make a decision on whether or not to have my original bumpers restored or
simply replace them with new bumpers (the rear bumper guards may have to be
replaced or restored also).  What also complicates the decision though is that
I have chosen not to have any of the other chrome restored.  It has all
cleaned up rather well and, though not perfect, I like the way it looks.  I
have decided to change the focus of the restoration.  I no longer want the car
to look perfect.  I want it to look more its age.  The paint is being taken
down to bare metal and so it will look very new but, I want to keep the
original upholstery (looks amazingly good for nearly fifty years old), the
original chrome and and the original top.  What I am afraid of is two perfect
looking bumpers while everything else looks a little bit aged.  Any advice?  I
wouldn't mind buying a couple of old bumpers so long as they were pretty
straight and didn't need to be re-chromed to still look pretty good.
John Winskill 54TF