Re: Piping Question

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Piping Question
From: Roadrunner@Post.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:46:00 -0800
Chuck wrote:

>         I am just about set to paint my wife's TF.  She wants it to be cream
>with
> red interior.  She has looked through a ton of pictures making the color
> choice.  One car she saw that she really liked was cream, with red
> interior, and had red piping.  I have seen several cars where the piping
> matches the interior color.   I know that is not "original",

> but I was
> wondering how often it is done.  And, in the rare possibility that she
> might have the car in a concourse event what is the deduction for improper
> piping color?
>
> Chuck
> Caretaker of 1955 TF 1500

The Concourse deduction for piping not matching the body color is
probably trivial compared with the penalty for painting a green TF white,
unless you plan to forge an HDP serial number plate in place of your
original HDE numbered plate.  In that event, you may wish to save
the original plate for the sake of the next owner, as the caretaker of
that bit of British automotive history.

        According to F.E. Old III, the Technical Editor of
The "T" Series Handbook (1986) published by The New
England MG T Register, the third letter in the TF
Car Number represents the original paint color:

A =     Black
B =     Birch Grey      (Ditzler Paint Code DDL 31918)
C =     M.G. Red        (Ditzler Paint Code DDL 71993)
E =     Almond Green    (Ditzler Paint Code DDL 44159)
P =     Ivory   (Ditzler Paint Code DDL 81271)

So for each of these exemplary car numbers,

HDA13/0501       was originally black
HDB46/0570       was originally grey
HDC13/0503       was originally red
HDE43/0513       was originally green