HELP. Eninge and Timing Chain Cover Not align

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: HELP. Eninge and Timing Chain Cover Not align
From: Gordon Wright <newlodge@katel.net.au>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 16:12:19 +0800
I have just put my TD on the road after a 3 year total rebuild and part of
the pain while rebuilding included front engine seals.
First seal used was from a modern lip seal but had trouble lining up seal
/timing cover & sump as well as keeping sealants in the right places. End
result was that it spun in the housing & leaked within 5 minutes of start
up. Next fitted original style rope seal & I have fitted lots to various
motors over the years, so I know how to do it. This lasted about 10 minutes.
Both experiments were performed in rolling chassis. Finally I removed sump
and timing cover, bolted the two together with required gasket and machined
off the front lip so that a modern seal can be slipped straight in after
motor is assembled. End result has proved successful & if any problems do
arise then replacement is a quick job, infact there is room for two Moss
seals in the housing.
Gordon Wright
Western Australia