When should the carbon seal seal?

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: When should the carbon seal seal?
From: "Scott Allen" <s4usea@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 19:24:51 GMT
Hi,

As y'all may recall I had a problem with the water pump leaking on my TD.
In the course of replacing it I pulled the core plugs and flushed out the
system.  I also checked the block where the water pump goes to make sure it
wasn't warped, and the surface it mates to is flat.

To make a long story short, my new water pump from Moss is doing the same
thing, i.e.: coolant is leaking from the relief hole on the bottom of pump.
Prior to putting it on I ran it on my drill for 30secs and since then I've
driven it some 20 miles.  Even though the Workshop manual says some leaking
is normal until the seal beds in I'm wondering how much leaking is normal?

I called Moss about this as this is my second pump in nine months.  Their
response was to tell me to send it back, and they'll replace it.  However
I'm reluctant to do this until I explore the possibility that there may be
another problem...  For instance, in doing the replacement I also looked on
the block for visible cracks, but as the pump is leaking from the relief
hole I'm pretty sure the seal isn't working.

One possibility: when I got it I put in a couple pulls from the grease gun,
and grease of a different color came out of the front bearings meaning there
was grease already in it.  Can over-filling the pump with grease cause the
seal not to seal?  Looking at the pump diagram Blake sent me I don't think
so, but who knows?

Any Ideas?

Scott

'52 TD