Re: steering pinion shaft seal

To: "Francis Precht" <fprecht@mail.frostburg.edu>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering pinion shaft seal
From: "lbprince" <lbprince@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 16:13:30 -0700
Francis,

Page 86 of  "The T Type Restoration Handbook", 1993 edition, states:
"The original lube charts call for the use of gear oil in the TD/TF/Y
steering rack, but modern multi-purpose lithium grease works jus as well
and isn't as messy".

Detractors will argure that the manual calls for oil and only oil should
be used. They claim that the inside ends of the tie rod links don't get
lubricated with grease.

I suspect it doesn't make much difference because there are many cars
running with grease and many with oil.  I would use oil if everything is
sealed well, but if the oil doesn't stay in, I'd go with the grease and
not worry about it.

Ben