Re: steering pinion shaft seal

To: "Francis Precht" <fprecht@mail.frostburg.edu>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering pinion shaft seal
From: "David Tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 23:45:17 +0100
Hi Francis, Try soaking the felt seal for a few days in engine oil also make
sure that the area where the seal fits and the passage ways leading to where
the seal fits are clean, polished and lubricated.
On the question of oil versus grease, oil wins every time. Grease is not
"fluid " and will collect at the extreems of movement, usually away from
where it is wanted, oil keeps moving. Do not forget to fit new seal boots
and clips to keep the oil in.
Regards
David Tinker