Re: 'frozen' brake cylinders

To: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Subject: Re: 'frozen' brake cylinders
From: Brian Smith <btsmith@island.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:08:57 -0700
--------------897C24E38823BB308E236441

Just a quick note. I had the same problem with my brake cylinders and the
careful use of heat did not move them, nor did compressed air. I read once
that hydraulic pressure from a grease gun could move them but just try and
get a fitting!!!! I finally took a bolt that fit the thread size and
carefully drilled it down the center and then drilled the head end to accept
a tap the size of a grease fitting. This method moved every cylinder, no
matter how badly stuck, within seconds. It takes a little time to make this
"tool" but it was well worth the time.

Brian

David Littlefield wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:45:37 -0400 Francis Precht
> <fprecht@mail.frostburg.edu> writes:
> > Thanks for the advice so far.  Now, next question.
> > The front brake cylinders seem 'hopelessly' frozen (gee, after
> > sitting
> > for 23 years I think I'd get a little stiff too).  I've soaked the
> > cylinders in: kerosene (or is it parafin?), gasoline (outside,
> > closed
> > container), PB Blaster, and even tried 110 lbs of air pressure (2
> > tries,
> > both times the rubber hose blew out in between 2 hose bands placed
> > as
> > close as possible to each other - no more than 1/16" apart).
> >
> > Realizing that this might mean that the cylinders are stuck pretty
> > tight, are there any other suggetions before taps is played ?
> >
> > I'd attach them one at a time to the master cylinder, but it's out
> > for a
> > rebuild.
> >
> > Bud
>
> Blue wrench time.  I got some pretty badly frozen ones out with a propane
> torch.  They'll need resleeving, of course.
>
> David Littlefield
> Houston, TX
> '62 MGA MkII
> '51 MGTD