Re: Swivel link bolts

To: amoyce@pol.net, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Swivel link bolts
From: JustBrits@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:57:59 EDT
In a message dated 09/25/2000 2:36:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
amoyce@pol.net writes:

<< Advice . . . replace all the swivel pan bolts with high grade (I think I
 used grade 8) nuts and bolts and be sure they aren't over torqued. >>

Pardon my advice, Doc.:

Car came with the equalivent of Grade 5.  Grade 8 is overkill and unnecessary.
The REAL problem comes from REUSING the old and stretched and rusted (but
'cleaned' and 'restored') parts.

How many of you have pans and/or inner pivots MagnaFluxed for cracks??

My bet = 99% have not even thought of it.  Ditto on replacing the inner pivot
units.

I average 20% "crack" evidence on MGBs.  What do you suppose the a "T" Series
cars' units are like??

The problem is prevalent enough that I STOCK the things (and I do not LIKE to
as they are expensive!!).

Regards,

          Ed