Re: Another Manifold Stud Question

To: mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Another Manifold Stud Question
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 21:58:27 -0700
Scott Allen wrote:

> I.  In looking at the threads on each end of the studs, one end is threaded
> longer.  Which end goes into the block?  I'm inclined to put the end with
> the longer threads into it.
<<<snip>>>

Use the short threaded end in the block.

<<<snip>>>
> II.  The external engine diagram shows washers on the nuts, but nobody sells
> them with the studs and nuts.  What kind of washer is preferred?  A lock
> washer?  Copper washer?  None at all?
<<<snip>>>

The parts manual lists no washer.  I have lock washers under mine.  The heat of
the manifold probably takes the temper out of them, so they may not be "locking"
any more.  However, a washer would help keep the retainer clips from turning
when you tighten the nut.