Re: Re: Discovering The Wheel-Again

To: "lbprince" <lbprince@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Re: Discovering The Wheel-Again
From: Andrew Moyce <amoyce@pol.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:01:58 -0400 (EDT)
Can I add a couple of simple measures to keep temperature down (all
previously discussed on this site)

Add a pint of NapaCool (sounds like a California beverage, but on sale
at NAPA auto parts stores) and a pint of Redline Water Wetter to plain
water in your radiator.

Change to synthetic motor oil

Make sure your timing isn't retarded.

I asked a question about idling in traffic a few months ago and
didn't get any replies.

Imagine you are stalled in rush hour traffic in your TD on a hot day.
Traffic is stalled to the point that you only move a few feet every
five or ten minutes, and are at a dead stop the majority of the time.
 What's the best strategy to minimise engine temp?
............stop and restart the engine at each pause in motion?
............continue idling and creep ahead at low revs when possible?
............increase idling speed at no load to circulate more water?
............plan ahead next time to avoid these situations

Andy Moyce
52 TD