TD Front Wheel Bearings

To: mg-t <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: TD Front Wheel Bearings
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 08:04:28 -0400
      I decided to repack the front wheel bearings of my 52TD in preparation for
the 1,000-ish mile (rt) drive from home (Plymouth, Mass.) to the GOF in
Rochester in a couple of weeks.  I just finished doing the same thing to my 77B
so I didn't think much of it.  The inner bearing was at the absolute limit of my
puller, but it eventually did break loose and come off.

     Reassembly, according to the books, is similar to the B, i.e., install the
components in the hub, slide it onto the axle and tighten it down.  However, the
B has shims for end play setting and also has a torque spec.  I don't see any
sort of torque spec. for the axle nut.  Do we assume that torquing it enough to
get the castle nut to line up for a cotter pin is good enough?

    One more --- anybody have a suggestion for a really good wheel bearing
grease?  TIA.
--
Bud Krueger
http://home.ici.net/~bkrueger/