RE: [mg-tabc] Brakes

To: "Ray McCrary" <spook01@home.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] Brakes
From: "Bob Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 09:03:52 -0400
Hi All,
A couple of answers to Rays questions and a plug for my parts:

Who has the best prices, quality, availability for brake parts?
!- Most brake rubbers can be optained from your local auto parts store and
are North American made. 1" rubbers for front cylinders, 7/8" for rear.

Which brake material is best with the stock steel drums,
2- I have used Abingdon Spares woven/riveted linings and they work well.

 and which are better with the cast iron drums?
3-Original type woven/riveted linings or asbestos ( if you can find it ) are
good for the cast iron or Alfin type brake drums. A " soft" material is
best. Stay away from metal impregnated linings, they will score the cast
iron.

 Have any of you used the repro aluminum
finned drums?
4- I have used and sell the repro Alfin type aluminum finned brake drums.
The race TC is in its third year with these drums and several of my road
cars use them as well. They work very well. Most TC racers use the Alfin
drums for heat disipation and cast iron liner, which has a better
coefficient of friction than the original pressed steel drums. And they look
nice as well.

Are they iron or steel?
5- The cast in liners are cast iron. The molten aluminum is poured around
the cast iron liner insert and dovetails on the outer circumference ensure
the liner cannot move. The assembly is machined on a CNC lathe.

When you reply, please include where you got the drums.
6- Alfin drums from Bob Grunau.

Since I am on a roll, new and old members may be interested to know I have:
Alfin type brake drums, TA/TB/TC, ( $900.00 US$ a set of four ).
Front spindle inserts, TA/TB/TC,  ( $35.00 US$ each, left or right ).
TC/early TD oil filter adapters for modern spin-on filters ( $70.00 US$ ).
AND, new item, TF/late TD oil filter adapters to allow a modern spin-on on
the late T-type oil pump ( $35.00 US$).
All above prices plus mail/shipping cost. All parts currently in stock.

BTW, will be racing the TC at Pittsburg on 14, 15 July so could deliver any
bits to the race to save mailing/shipping costs.

Please email me if you require any further details.
Regards and thanks, Bob Grunau