TF alloy body, update.

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: TF alloy body, update.
From: "david.tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 21:30:33 +0100
As promised an update on the alloy/ steel corrosion issue re. the
restoration of my aluminium clad TF.

The joints between the steel rear wheel arches and the alloy side panels
 originally attached with alloy rivets and steel tacks  ) were drilled out
and replaced with brass screws ( M4 csk ) and brass woodscrews , with the
alloy panel countersunk to take the screw head and the joint between steel
and alloy, treated  with an anti corrosion coating ( Duralac ) .

Where accessible a brass nut and washer( M4 ) was attached to a countersunk
brass screw, otherwise in wood a brass wood screw was used( where timber was
behind the joint ).

In other places, where nails were used , these were drilled out and brass
wood screws used. The whole process  taking about a day.

You may well say that this modification, given the time taken for corrosion
to set in, was unnecessary. But the proof of the pudding will be to ask my
descendants in 60 years time!!!!!.

Should anyone go down this road it will cost no more to have such a body
built if the required specification is given to the bodybuilder initially.

Incidently, when I purchased the TF it came with a leather strap across the
bonnet, attached to a chromium plated yolks each side of the bonnet. Was
this a period accessory and should I keep it?.

Kind Regards

David Tinker.