Re: Help - No Spark - What is going on??

To: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>, mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Help - No Spark - What is going on??
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 11:00:02 -0700
Kevin:

I've read most of the help you've gotten and they are all good
suggestions.  If they don't help, check the distributor body
itself. On T  types the cast body can work loose from the steel
shaft which holds the dizzy in the engine. This looseness will
cause variations in the point gap enough that the points may not
be opening. When and if you pull the distributor, hold the steel
shaft in one hand and wiggle the diecast housting. Look at the
side or end where the steel and die cast meet, and see if you can
see movement between the the steel shaft and the housing.
You may have to remove the points to be able to wiggle it because
of the points spring tension. Sometimes there is oil in this
joint and you can see oil squeeze out as you wiggle.  You can
also try the wiggling with the distributor in the car, but you
won't be able to see the joint.

If it is loose, I know of two repairs besides replacement. The
first I partially tried. The suggestion was to clean this joint
with cleaning fluid by sucking it through the joint.   I was able
to rig a method of apply suction to the top but couldn't seem to
get any material to come through.  Perhaps, the author had a
looser distributor.  After cleaning, he sucked in some sort of
glue.  Thread locker?

What I did was to drill a couple of small holes vertically from
the inside the housing in the joint between the steel portion and
the die cast housing.  I then drove in a couple of roll pins.  I
used these instead of solid pins as the constant tension would
maybe keep it from loosening again.  I did this about 15,000
miles ago, and haven't seen any problems yet.

Blake