Re: 4.3:1 conversion

To: "Stuart Keen" <simbafish@home.com>, "MG" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 4.3:1 conversion
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 20:32:38 -0700
Stuart,

The real problem is that your gears had been previously used in another
differential, where they developed a wear pattern. Unless the set-up in your
TD exactly duplicated the MGA relative placement of the ring and pinion, the
teeth are now meshing slightly differently, meaning that worn and unworn
areas of the faces are now in contact with each other, even if the pre-load
was set up exactly to specification. This uneven wear is the source of your
noise. In my experience, this will not cause the gears to fail. You will
have to learn to live with the noise, or get a louder radio or muffler {G}.
Completely silent rear end conversions using previously installed gears are
a virtual impossibility, I'm afraid.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center