Re: 1954 MGTF 1500 RHD - Its Alive!!!! :-)

To: <rthompson@flex.net>, "MGT" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1954 MGTF 1500 RHD - Its Alive!!!! :-)
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 19:16:28 -0700
Well, Roger, you are, of course, correct, in that positioning the
distributor so the coil wire is further round will prevent the tach drive
from shorting the spark out when it (as it almost certainly will) succumbs
to the combined effects of gravity and vibration. However, positioning the
distributor in that location makes it very hard to un-snap the cap clips,
and that's why most distributors are placed where the shorting out is
possible.

So, what's a fellow to do? Actually, there is a really simple fix. Take a
piece of 1/4" fuel line, cut off a 7/16" or so stub, then cut a notch about
3/16 x 3/16 on one end. Then push that piece of hose, notch first to clear
the low tension wire, over the distributor side terminal. Now if, or when,
the tach drive rotates downwards, the terminal is insulated and no
electrical malfunctions occur.

It also remains a heckuva lot easier to get the cap off!

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center