Differential

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Differential
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 14:22:01 -0400
With the rear of my TD jacked up, transmission in neutral and hand brake
off, I have the following situation (I am obviously new to auto
mechanics and therefore don't even know what is suppose to be):

1) The RIGHT rear wheel rotates freely in both direction. It does not
engage the left rear wheel (i.e. left rear does not rotate).

2) When I rotate the LEFT rear, which takes some effort in either
direction, it is also rotating the right rear. I went through all the
transmission gears, thinking that perhaps something was hung up, but no change.

Is this the correct scenario - left rear turns the right rear but the
right rear does not turn the left rear?

I just went to check again. With the car still jacked up and engine
running, in gear the RIGHT wheel turns, but the LEFT does nothing. If I
accelerate, then the LEFT spins and then stops.

Please educate me on the basics.

Stu Keen
51 MGTD MkII