RE: What's in the Canister in the Oil Pan?

To: <BobMGT@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What's in the Canister in the Oil Pan?
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:54:21 -0500
 Is there some sort of filter in that canister?
 Yes, a fine mesh screen.
===================
Does it need to be cleaned or replaced?
  Yes, it's likely to be FILLED with every bit of gunk, gasket material and
sealer, and other garbage that ever passed through the engine.
===================

I removed the nut on the bottom of the canister, but I'm having
trouble getting the darn thing apart.
===================
Odd. I'm only familiar with the early pick-up on which the filter is held in
the canister by a split pin, a washer and spring. Once those are removed,
you can usually dig the filter out by grabbing and edge and pulling it
straight out. Note that there is also a large fibre washer that sits between
the filter and the canister. Friendly persuasion will usually get it out.

Regards,
Lew Palmer

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336