RE: 911 Virus Warning - FOR REAL!!!

To: <JustBrits@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: 911 Virus Warning - FOR REAL!!!
From: "Bill Harkins" <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:57:43 -0700
911 (firkin) is a for real virus that comes attached to an email. the
attachment can be called mine.exe.
As usual, I'm skeptical of the virus "warnings" that come with great
regularity via email. The key to the statement is that 911 comes attached to
an email as an .exe file. The general rule is to not open an attached .exe
if you don't know the sender. If you just get the email and delete it the
virus (which is a program) cannot run.
There are many websites that discuss virii - a good one is
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/ which covers the 911 virus. According to
Sophos, there have been few if any instances of infection by 911.
However, I also run my Norton virus scan about once a week!
Bill Harkins
Fallbrook, CA