Re: TF Body

To: <BJCJ1@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TF Body
From: "david.tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 20:19:47 +0100
Hi Bob

Thanks for making contact. As the body on my TF was totally rotten, and the
car itself had not turned a wheel since 1969. The scuttle top was the only
piece worth saving but suprisingly the rest of the car was pretty good. Not
long after I purchased it I met a guy at an MG rally who put me in touch
with someone who builds T Type tubs, and came with a recommendation. So I
ordered a body on a new ash frame clad in Aluminium alloy rather that steel.
The price was very reasonable ( cash ) and not much different from steel
clad.

That was a year ago and now with a rolling chassis I have fabricated a new
battery box for the bulkhead and after a few coats of paint will get down to
mating the two together on the chassis. I agree with the comments received
so far that Abingdon lowered the body onto the chassis with the engine in
place. But what I plan to do is to leave the motor out initially to give me
room to work , but position the radiator and the cowl in place so as to line
up the bonnet . With this new body I have no way of knowing ( yet ) the
dimensional accuracy in the critical areas, ie where bonnet tops and sides
meet up just forward of the windscreen. I have already found that the upper
ash top rail which is sandwiched between the scuttle top and the bulkhead,
(where the bonnet rubber is tacked to) is too short on the one side ,so a
cabinetmaker friend of mine is making an oversize replacement which I can
fit in position.

Am I correct in thinking that Bonnet tops. sides, front wings etc need to be
put in position for a trial fit to make sure everything lines up?.

Thanks and watch this space!!!!

David Tinker