Re: Re: TD real axle grear ratio

To: <amoyce@pol.net>, "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Re: TD real axle grear ratio
From: "Syd Saperstein" <tcsyd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 15:39:17 -0800
When I had my last TF, it had the stock 4.875 rear, and Hiway speeds were
only attainable at RPM that made me clench my tet really hard.  I changed
the rear for an MGA 4.30 and was happy about the reduced RPM while at least
getting up to Hiway speed (if you could believe your MG speedometer - which
seems to lie about 10% on most every MG I have had apart from the B).  Then,
however, when we would go on MG weekend trips to the Sierra Nevada, and we
had to negotiate thos long steep upgrades, I was in 2nd while others with
the stock setup were in 3rd.  I could catch up with the pack on the next
downgrade, but God forbid that the fellow in front of me in the caravan
slowed a little too much before the upgrade!  I needed a running start!
Now, with my TC that has a 5.1 rear, and 19" wheels, all is right(er).
After a lot of MG driving, it is now clear to me that those MG engineers at
the works, had it about right from the start for the average road conditions
of the day, and the intended use for the car.  Only the Japanese cars seem
to be able to squeeze power enough out of small displacement to drive the
their modern aerodynamic soppository shapes of today to speeds previously
the sole domain of the big blocks or expensive sports cars.

The moral of the story is to be sure that your MG and its intended purpose
are properly suited to one another.  I much prefer to toodle along at 40 or
50 and occasionally go for a brisk run with windscreen down on the freeway.
For those who are nervous about driving on the freeway at 55 or 60, put a
sign on the back that says STUDENT DRIVER.  Other motorists will cut you a
wide berth.  I remember a cartoon by that famous auto characaturist
Brockbank showing an old couple driving along in an old saloon shaped like a
18 80 leading a long line of entrapped modern cars behind it with a sign
hanging off the registration bracket saying "RUNNING IN."  Might try that
too.