Re: Re: TD real axle grear ratio

To: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>, bkrueger@ici.net
Subject: Re: Re: TD real axle grear ratio
From: Andrew Moyce <amoyce@pol.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 22:09:56 -0500 (EST)
In the few years I've been following this list, rear end ratios and
highway speeds has probably been the most talked about topic.
Comments seem to fall into two schools... one (either large or
particluarly vocal) group that favors tall rear end ratios and high
highway speeds, and the other group (to which I belong) which sees
highway travel as a necessary evil.  I'm most comfortable in my car on
a winding country road traveling 40 miles an hour.  When a freeway run
is unavoidable, 55 miles in the right lane (which is under 3500 rpm
with my T. F. rear end) is tolerable, and in my rationalization,
reasonably safe.  I keep plenty of distance from the car in front of
me, and ignore the temptation to compete with modern cars at modern
speeds.  I have another car for that, and if I'm really in a hurry
that's what I'll use.
I drive a TD with a rebuilt and somewhat modified engine.  The car is
at peace with itself with the current rear end ratio.  I do sometimes
find myself reaching for fifth gear, but I think that is conditioning
from my everyday car.

Andy Moyce
52 TD