Re: Changing Rear End Ratio in a TD

To: <TATERRY@aol.com>, <JVK52TD@aol.com>, <lpalmer@vanstar.com>,
Subject: Re: Changing Rear End Ratio in a TD
From: "Ray McCrary" <spook01@home.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:31:06 -0500
Hi Guys,
This is a case of comparing apples and oranges.  The rolling radius of the
tires have to be taken into account.
A 4.40x19 tire is MUCH larger than the 5.50x15 tire.  Hence a lower
numerical rearend ratio will give more MPH per 1000 RPM.  Taller tires with
a common ratio will give the same effect.
To wit:

A TA with the standard  rear end ratio gives 16.67 mph per 1000 rpm with a
top speed of 80 (approx) mph

The TD with the standard rear ratio gives 14.4 mph per 1000 rpm and a top of
77-83 mph (88 for the Mk 2).  The enhanced top speed is because of the rev
capability of the XPAG versus the old 1292 engine.

The MGA ratio will make the TD tolerable on the highway, with the cost of
slightly less acceleration.  This can be offset by a little special tuning.

Enjoy!

Safety Fast!!

Ray

PS- Anyone going to Abingdon for the 75th MG Birthday Party next month??