Re: No Oil Pressure

To: <kingseim@earthlink.net>, "Scott Allen" <s4usea@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: No Oil Pressure
From: "Bill Harkins" <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:44:23 -0700
> Drain the oil from the sump, and pressure-lubricate the engine. Obtain a
> Hudson type garden sprayer. Remove the oil line from the tee to the
> gage, and install the hose from the pressure sprayer. Fill pressure
> sprayer with oil amount required for your engine. Pressurise sprayer,
> and left full amount fill engine. Restart engine, checking for oil
> pressure. If low at first, let it run. Pressure lubrication should
> protect engine during this stage. Pressure should rise to normal.

A good procedure - when I did this task and wanted to be ansolutely sure
that the blower oil system had oil in it  before turning the engine, I used
the technique with good success. Unfortunately, my wife forbade me from
putting oil in her garden sprayer (they're funny that way). A local
enthusiast loaned me his fabricated "pipe bomb" which was a welded up pipe
with a water faucet style valve and a tire valve stem for compressed air. I
pressurized the bomb to about 40 lbs and then opened the valve with hose to
fitting as described by John. The guage soon showed oil pressure  to 35 psi
and the blower lines were full. My buddy moved out of town, so the next time
I will fab my own. It worked like a charm, no spillage or messiness.

Just to give credit where due, I first saw this technique used on an engine
John had rebuilt, but he had managed to con someone's wife out of a garden
sprayer.

Bill Harkins
Fallbrook, CA