Re: Right size tires for TD and TF

To: kingseim@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Right size tires for TD and TF
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 16:04:10 -0500
On Mon, 10 May 1999 23:12:38 -0700 John Seim <kingseim@earthlink.net>
writes:
>Origional tire size was 5.50 x 15. Current metric radial size would
>be
>5.60 R 15.

I believe you mean 165R15, which is what most people use.  One (only)
drawback to using the radial vs. the bias ply, is that the bias ply
tended to be a taller (greater circumference) tire.  Why does this
matter?  Well, if you still have the 5.125 original gear ratio in the
rear, the slightly smaller diameter radial will only exacerbate the
problem of high revs at highway speed.  By how much?  I don't remember
exactly.  I calculated it all out one time, and I think it came to a
hundred or two hundred rpm or so.  Also, different manufacturers have
slightly different circumferences/diameters on their radials.

I have heard that Dunlop SP20's are a good choice, although you can find
off-brand radials at that size pretty cheaply, if price is your greatest
consideration.

I've got a friend that put 185/65/15's on his TD, but even he doesn't
know why.  That's probably the next size I'll put on my MGA, 'cause I
want to autocross it.  I've been drooling over some Yokohama AVS
Intermediates ($80 apiece, and overkill for a TD), and that's the
smallest size they make.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII