Re: Funny Smell at Speed

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Funny Smell at Speed
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 08:52:33 -0500
On Mon, 5 Apr 1999 20:24:36 EDT BobMGT@aol.com writes:
>This may sound funny but my TD has a funny smell above 50 mph. My only
>
>thought is blow-by, but the compression is good and it doesn't smell
>like
>exhaust. Is this a normal smell?

Gee, Bob, do you live in Arkansas?  If so, you need to pass that
truckload of chickens!
;-)

Seriously, it is hard to tell what your problem might be from your
description.  Does it smell like burning oil, for example?  Any smoke?
Does it smell like fuel?  Although the TD is far from airtight, I would
still be concerned about any exhaust leaks into the cockpit.  Please be
sure that is not the problem, carbon monoxide is no joke.

It may be nothing to worry about, like oil burning off the exhaust, but
don't ignore it until you figure it out!

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD