Re: Bolts & Jack Stands

To: DGeis@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bolts & Jack Stands
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 07:37:20 EST
Dave,
  For a good description of the peculiar engine bolts, get a copy of the
T-Series Manual from the NE MG T Register.  Chip Olds has an invaluable
explanation of this peculiar thread & head combination.  Essentially,
they are a metric thread used during WW1, with bolt heads sized to fit
Brit Standard or Whitworth wrenches. Other threads were those used in
British industry at the time.
  You might try Moss or Abingdon Spares, or some of the advertisers in
TSO for these bolts. In the article is mentioned Metric & Multistandards
Components Corp, Elmsford, NY. My copy of the T-Series Manual is
copywrite 1986-that information may no longer be current. However, even
if you have the correct bolts, they won't be of much use to you if the
threads in the original holes are stripped unless you can fill the holes
and re-tap.  It will be necessary to determine the time&cost/value
relationship to many of these individual bolts.
  I don't think that you are likely to unduly wrack the frame in any
manner short of a collision. The frames were considered stiff in their
day, though  we think of them as being pretty noodley today.  How well
did your doors fit when four tires were on the ground? How well do the
doors fit when the car is up on jackstands?  So you won't damage the
frame by lifting it, but you might not want to remove and replace body
pieces when it is up on jackstands.  The cars were on their wheels at the
factory when the bodies were installed.
  Your idea of supporting at the back with two supports and then using
one under the front cross member sounds OK to me. I have done it that
way, and felt that there was less twisting of the chassis because of an
uneven floor situation than with four supports. What sort of wood
supports are you engineering?  Will you be able to achieve the rigidity
of the jackstands without taking up more working space under the car?  I
started with a pair of 2,000 lb jackstands. These were fine for the
weight, of course, but were not large enough to give adequate working
room underneath. Next set was 4,000 lb units. With four of them under the
TD I certainly had an adequate (infinite?) reserve of strength, and
finally had the space to move the creeper, my elbows, and to focus my
bifocals.
  You can bolt through the existing holes in the crossmember.  One
supposes that they are there to lighten the weight of the car, as in
high-performance vehicles like the TDs and TFs "every ounce counts". I've
never seen them discussed.
Bob