Bolts & Jack Stands

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Bolts & Jack Stands
From: DGeis@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:15:56 EST
This list has been pretty quiet lately.  Maybe the following will generate
some response.

I am in the process of rebuilding my 53 TD.  The car has been woefully
mistreated by DPO's.  For example, there are three different kinds of bolts
holding the fan blades and the two that match are the wrong kind.  Many bolts
are missing, studs have been replaced by bolts, etc.  I seem to find lots of
discussion of, and adequate sources for BSF fasteners for the body, but I
haven't found any sources for, or much written about the peculiar metric bolts
for the engine.  I have two rebuild manuals (Schach and Green) and I don't see
any mention of this subject.  Does this mean that it is not a problem, or does
it mean that it is an insurmountable problem?  Do restorers substitute
something else, do they have a source of the so-called Nuffield metrics or
what?  Can "Metric fine" bolts (i.e. 8mm X1mm metric fine) be substituted?
Are some bolts in the engine compartment BSF?  (For example those that attach
the horns, fuel pump, coil, etc.

Subject two:  Currently the car is on jack stands located at the front and
rear of the level part of the frame.  I would like to raise the car a bit more
to make the underside more accessible and jack stands make me a bit nervous
anyway.  I have been thinking of building some timber supports.  The rear one
would be where the rear jack stands are with enough base to make it stable.
The front one is the question.  I thought it could be a single support about
15" side to side and 6" front to back.  It would be bolted to the front cross
member utilizing the existing holes.  (What are these holes for anyway?)  The
question is whether supporting the front in this manner will unduly wrack the
frame.

Any thoughts, particularly on the bolts, will be appreciated. --Dave G.