Re: TD Information

To: dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: TD Information
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 20:51:26 EDT
Hi David,
  I was thinking about how you modified the engine stand.  In my case,
the bolts with the stand were long enough to permit the mounting tubes to
be bolted to the stand, and the flat part of the little brackets to
attach flat against the bell housing, thus providing some additional
bearing and support surface for the weight of the engine.
  Though replacement of the suspension bushing was planned for this
year's spring project, the engine rebuilding has superceeded that
intention, so when I get to it the engine will be back in this car.
Bob

Mon, 4 May 1998 16:39:21 -0500 dmeadow@juno.com writes:
>I did this a little differently, but the result is the same.  First, I
>bought 8x1 bolts of appropriate length at the local Pep Boys, making
>sure to get high strength (equivalent to Grade 8, but I forget the
>metric designation).  Supposedly the standard metric threaded bolt
>will have slightly different thread sizes, but they work fine.
>
>I then lifted the engine with my hoist to the right level.  I bolted
>the stand to the engine, only putting weight on the stand and the
>bolts after everything was snugged up.
>
>One minor modification I had to make to the engine stand was necessary
>in my case.  Each mounting hole on the stand was really a tube of
>about 2" long.  I guess that provides additional clearance to the back
>of the engine while on the stand.  In my case, it was too annoying to
>have to find bolts long enough to go through the tube.  So I shortened
>them up using a cut-off tool.
snip