healeys

RE: Rear brake cylinder question

To: "'Malaney, David W'" <DavidWMalaney@eaton.com>,
Subject: RE: Rear brake cylinder question
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:51:01 -0400
Hi Dave,
If the pistons won't come out of the wheel cylinders easily then I would
suspect that they are corroded and seized, probably irretrievably.
If all the other components of the brake system are assembled you can use
the brake system pressure (press the pedal) to push the pistons out, but
take great care to cover everything with rags to prevent fluid spraying
everywhere once the piston does come out and once you have one side out you
have to put it and its associated brake back together to push out the other
using the same method.
As you probably still have everything disassembled you probably don't have
this option.
If you are really keen you can hook a grease gun up to the cylinder's fluid
port and pump the piston out with grease, make sure that you clean all the
grease off thoroughly once you are finished.
However as I said above, you will almost certainly find that the cylinders
are corroded and require replacement, remember honing aluminum cylinders is
NOT an option; once the bore is damaged the cylinder must be replaced or
resleeved.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com