healeys

Re: Merlin engine

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: Merlin engine
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:33:14 +0800
When I was a kid, my dad flew all sorts of planes (PBYs, B-26s, B-17s,
C-46s, C-47s, C-130s, etc etc) and the one plane I remember that had
the coolest sounding engine was the C-119 Boxcar.  It had the Pratt
and Whitney R-4360 (I think that's the model#).  As pretty as the
Merlin sounded, the Boxcar's engines ran like pure glass.

The engine had four rows of radial engines mounted in a spiral, the
thing was very long and because of the length, everyone called it the
corncob.

My dad swore it was the smoothest and most powerful engine he ever
flew in a plane, and the thing would keep running no problem even with
several cylinders shot off.

Gotta love the old planes!!

Cheers,

Alan