healeys

How did we pick our marques?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: How did we pick our marques?
From: "David" <dcrawfor@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:35:49 -0800
Dear Abby,

I first saw a BN1 in 1953. Salivated like a dog smelling bacon. I'd
recently graduated from high school and couldn't afford a Healey. I'd
been into hot rods and drag racing my '34 Ford five window coupe. The
lines of that BN1 changed my mind about what an automobile should look
like. Hooked.

After college, in '56, I drove a delivery truck to earn enough to go
to grad school. During a route, as I drove past La Jolla British Cars
I glanced to my right. A white roadster on the showroom floor-parked
between two Jags-sent me back for a closer look. It was an Old English
White 1958 MGA. Not a Healy, but I had enough bock in the bank.  I
didn't go to grad school that year. Drove it home that afternoon.
Dad took one look. "What's that?"
"An MGA," I said.
He scratched his head and frowned. "It only has two seats."
"Pretty nice, huh?"
"You're nuts." he said. "You could-a bought a Chevy." End of
conversation.

I sold the A in '61 to pay off college expenses. Mistake. However, I
did have a job and bought a 61 Healey the next year-same OEW with a
red interior. Sold it in '65. It was a fine driver with the sound you
all know and love. Divorce. Bought and sold my next set of wheels-a 66
MGB-in just a two years. Okay, but not what I wanted.

Bought a beautiful '60 MGA five years ago. Won't part with it. Kept
looking 'cause I swore I'd find a BN1-and did-two years ago. Had an
excellent frame and body even though there was some engine work to do.
Did it. Doing a Smitty 5speed change now which includes a Mike Lempert
3:54 into a 3000 rear end. I'm making the fiberglass transmission
tunnel today, and will insulate as this list has suggested. I also
installed an alternator and changed from negative to positive ground.
That was a positive change. If all works as expected, I will be
driving my BN1 to Skagway, Alaska in June, then back to Nelson, B.C.
for the get-together in July. 6,333 miles round trip.

I cain't hardy wait!

David C
San Diego
'60 MGA