healeys

Re: heater fan sucks

To: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: heater fan sucks
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:56:20 -0600
Hi Earl,

Most older DC blower motors were built with series connected armature &
field windings. They will rotate in the same direction regardless of
which way the power is connected. These motors "can" be reversed by
INTERNALLY reversing the connections of the field or of the armature but
not both.

Some newer motors have permanent magnets in place of the field windings.
This type of motor will run backward if the supply connections are
reversed.

If a full wave bridge rectifier were connected between the supply
connections & the permanent magnet  motor, the supply polarity could be
connected to the motor either way & it would still run in the same
direction - As Jim H. says.

To my knowledge, all Healey blower motors were of the first type. Not to
say that the "reversing motor" in question has not been changed to a
permanent magnet type somewhere along the way. Either that or your
theory about blockage may be correct.

Certainly an interesting thread.

Dave Russell