healeys

Re: Healey Den Car

To: Editorgary@aol.com
Subject: Re: Healey Den Car
From: "Reid Trummel" <editor_reid@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:33:46 +0000
Gary,

I don't know for a fact, but I doubt Earl's theory.  The seller of this car
was a dealer with five or so cars there along with an employee or two to
clean and handle them, etc.  He was not a regular Healey enthusiast/private
party.  This was a car that I sold to Rick many years ago as a restoration
project (although it was (barely) drivable).

The top bid for the car was $51,000 (the $52,000 bid was cast by the seller
himself).  If he had accepted the $51,000 bid, he would have pocketed $46920
after paying his 8 percent seller's commission, but still had to pay all of
his other fees and expenses (entry fee, parking, transport, etc., etc.) from
that figure, and so would have actually pocketed maybe $43-44,000?  That
would have been a pretty low net price for such a nice car.

As it was he paid all of those expenses PLUS 16 percent in commissions (both
the buyer's 8 percent and the seller's 8 percent), meaning that he forked
over $8,320.  In the end it must have cost him something like $10,000 for
the privilege of continuing to own his own car!  I talked with him
afterwards and he was not, understandably, a happy guy.  I don't know how he
did on his other cars (one was a lovely white XKE), but surely the expense
of the Healey set him back a lot.

Complete report and insights in the March issue of Austin-Healey Magazine
(www.healey.org).

Reid

Reid Trummel
Portland, Oregon